Thursday, August 26, 2010

Top Kill: The Art of the Spill

I should have posted this sooner, but I learned of Leslie and Don Wilson when I stopped for lunch at a coffee shop in Bay St. Louis last week. On the counter there was a small display holding a row of DVDs entitled "Mississippi Son". I lifted one from the display and read the case which told me this was all about Katrina and it was produced by someone who calls the Mississippi Gulf Coast home. I put down my fin and took it home to watch that night.

I was blown away by it on many levels, but I was disappointed when I realized that I would never be able to tell the story of the BP oil spill the way Leslie and Don captured Katrina. When, I found the Americana Media, Inc. web site, I saw that they were producing a documentary on the BP oil spill entitled "Top Kill: The Art of the Spill". If they brought the same talent and dedication to that as they did to "Mississippi Son", it would be something special. After exchanging an handful of emails, it was resolved that I would give them all my footage for their use in that project once I finish up my work down here. It just makes sense. They have a talent for and experience with making movies and telling stories. I'm just a pikey with a camera. Who's going to tell the story better?

They'll be in production for a couple of years, which is logical as it will take at least that long for the aftermath of the spill to play out. I don't know how much information on their progress they will publish on their web site, but follow them. Go see the movie when it's released to theaters and then for home video. If "Mississippi Son" is representative of their work, it will definitely be worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment